Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:25:02 +0100
From:      Johannes Totz <johannes@jo-t.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble building/upgrading 9-stable

On 09/10/2013 10:44, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2013, at 01:39, Johannes Totz <johannes@jo-t.de> wrote:
>> I'm having trouble upgrading a system running 9-stable to a new
>> revision. buildworld always dies with an "internal compiler error"
>> during lib/clang/libllvminstcombine.
>> /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvminstcombine/../../../contrib/llvm/lib/Transforms/InstCombine/InstCombineCompares.cpp:1649:
>> internal compiler error: in memory_address_length, at
>> config/i386/i386.c:13897
>
> Since the tinderboxes for stable/9 are green, it is most likely your
> machine has a hardware problem.  You should at least run two or three
> full passes of memtest on your machine: this type of error typically
> occurs when data in RAM gets corrupted.

The box has ECC RAM, and runs pure zfs.
I don't know what to look out for regarding ECC errors though. There's
nothing in the console log that looks suspicious.
Also, trying to compile this many times will always trigger the same
error, that'd make RAM fault unlikely I would have thought (think random
crashes, the box is rock solid otherwise).

> If you can't find any hardware problems, you could try to switch off
> building clang, using WITHOUT_CLANG in your src.conf.

Thanks, will try that!