Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:44:49 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1, 5.2, or 5.3???

On Sep 1, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> So, I have been told that I shouldn't put 5.x on a production box, but
> on the other hand I need pam_ldap, nss_ldap support on my box, which I
> have also been told is only available in 5.x.

If you have reason to need PAM & NSS support for LDAP, yes, you need to
be running 5.x, or else you might consider some Linux flavor as better
serving your requirements.

> Whereas this is to be a Postfix server, I would like to know, which
> version of 5.x should I install, or perhaps there is a way to use
> linux emulation for pam and nss under 4.x?  If, however, 5.x I must
> install, which would people recommend and what problems will I be
> facing by putting it into production?

Quite possibly, you won't encounter any problems.

BTW, if your only requirement driving the need for LDAP is mail users,
one can set up Postfix and SASL to talk to LDAP, as well as configuring
IMAP/POP to use LDAP-based accounts.  pam_ldap lets one have
authenticated Unix-level users from LDAP accounts; if you don't need
LDAP shell accounts, 4.x will be enough.

Do not install 5.1; it's too old, too many bugs.  5.2.1 is probably the
most stable version available now, but there are significant bumps
between it and the 5.3 betas now available which make upgrading to what
will be 5-STABLE somewhat difficult.  If you've got the time to test
the system, install a 5.3 beta.  If you can wait two weeks, 5.3 will
become the preferred choice.

--
-Chuck