Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 02:32:01 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
Cc:        sumikawa@ebina.hitachi.co.jp, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6-enable ports

>> asami> That sounds fine, but what about packages?  They will all be built
>> asami> without IPv6 support, right?
>> I think It should synchronize default kernel configuration. If kernel
>> is enabled IPv6 in default, the packages should be build with IPv6
>> support.
>Well, I suppose that Satoshi meant the packages that go to CD-ROM
>for casual first-time FreeBSD user :), not those build by those, who might
>have already added "USE_INET6" or whatever to their /etc/make.conf.

	I think that binary packages should be shipped with IPv4/v6 dual
	support compiled in.  Otherwise you end up shipping two binary
	packages - which isn't really fun.
	This is just like items in normal src tree (like src/usr.bin/telnet)
	are configured to be IPv4/v6 dual stack by default.

	We have two options:
	- have USE_INET6, and have it into /etc/make.conf by default.
	  it needs to be enabled on "bento" package-building cluster, for
	  example.
	  pros: a guy care about binary size and don't need IPv6, can build
	  IPv4-only binary by using ports directory.
	  cons: optional things makes things more complicated; we really do
	  regress-tests by "bento" cluster.
	- enable IPv4/v6 dual stack support by default.
	  pros: simpler.  "bento" cluster will compile IPv4/v6 dual stack
	  binary, and dual stack binary only.
	  cons: we can't remove IPv6 support code at ease.

	For NetBSD, I think USE_INET6 should be turned on by default sometime
	soon.

itojun