Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:54:01 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Environment Poisoning and login -p

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:13:53AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> > > Instead, I've decided to follow Jacques Vidrine's
> > > suggestion of using a whitelist of environment variables
> > > that are "known-safe."

Sounds sensible for me, but it exagerates the need for a configuration
file.

In the sudo man page under 'SECURITY NOTES', there's some details of a
blacklist approach taken by sudo, dealing with similar issues.  Worth
looking at while considering the extent of this problem, and because
omissions in sudo's blacklist are likely to have been discussed somewhere
already.

> > Coming in from left field... Will there be some sort of mechanism for
> > an admin to set/modify this list?

> Surely you are aware of the consequences of s/admin/intruder/? :)
> Still, it might be useful indeed.

If the intruder already has root, there's not much to lose here.

Andrew McNaughton

--

No added Sugar.  Not tested on animals.  May contain traces of Nuts.  If
irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Andrew McNaughton           Currently in Boomer Bay, Tasmania
andrew@scoop.co.nz
Mobile: +61 422 753 792     http://staff.scoop.co.nz/andrew/cv.doc