Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 02:58:04 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Dual Log Stats - 1997/06/26 (wcarchive.cdrom.com)

>David Greenman writes:
>>> Bytes transferred : 185,490,560,785
>
>Nice
>
>Out of interest, what's the uptime like?  How often does the system go
>down, for what reasons, and for how long?
>
>This isn't just idle interest.  Tandem, who are still in the UNIX
>business, claim that their Integrity machines are ideal for this sort
>of thing.  I haven't seen anything like this performance, but I was
>wondering what the up time was like.  FWIW, the last figures I recall
>from Tandem were something like 99.99% uptime, which translates to
>about 53 minutes a year.  I'd be interested to see how much worse (if
>at all) wcarchive is.

   Since upgrading to 2.2.x, we've had only one failure (a system hang) that
is thought to have been already fixed. I noticed the problem only minutes
after it occured, and rebooted the machine. Total unscheduled downtime is
about 15 minutes in the past 6 months. The machine has also been down for
hardware upgrades and repairs (disk drives) a couple of times for an hour
or so. Tandem's business is fault tolerant hardware systems, and I'm sure
they beat us in that category hands down.

-DG

David Greenman