Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:53:52 -0600
From:      afleming@tiger.fhsu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache and /etc/password

Before I start, I know this is not advised, but I have weighed the options,
and in my case this is the best solution.

I have Apache 1.3.9 install on a server running FreeBSD 3.1, (I plan to
upgrade the OS end of the semester).  I am also turning on the proxy
feature in apache on this server.  Now I need use the system password file
for access to the proxy.

I have been able to use a password file I generated using htpasswd to
restrict access, but I am dealing with over 6000 accounts on this system.
I simple want to ask for their user name and password and if they are a
valid account on the system let them through.

I have install mod_perl support into my apache server, but I don't know how
to verify it is working correctly.  I have also installed the AuthenPasswd
PERL module from CPAN.  When I start up apache everything else works fine,
but when I try to enter an area password protected using AuthenPasswd, the
Auth box comes up but my username and password is not accepted.

The error logs show:  [Wed Nov 24 15:18:38 1999] [error] access to
http://www.fhsu.edu/ failed for  198.248.101.39, reason:
Apache::AuthenPasswd - user afleming: bad password

I know I am entering the right password.

Does any have any ideas what is wrong or where to even start checking
things.  OR does anyone know of a way to Auth off of the system password
file other then using the AuthenPasswd module from CPAN.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Fleming
Fort Hays State University Computing Center
Phone: (785) 628-5688
E-mail: afleming@fhsu.edu