Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:06:07 +0200
From:      Dominik Meister <dm-lists@meisternet.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Win XP on one system

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

Jason W. Morgan [Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:49:15PM -0400]:
> GRUB menu. It's not difficult, but it does add an extra step. Also, be
> sure to keep a backup of your modified GRUB config---it seems that
> each time Ubuntu decides it needs to perform a significant update, it
> replaces the GRUB config with the default, making FreeBSD once again
> inaccessible. There is probably a way to prevent this, but I never got
> around to investigating it.

Just for the records: The way to prevent this is very simple. Just
add custom entries to menu.lst outside of the section marked by the
following lines:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below
=2E...
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

(never mind the mentionning of Debian, this has been copied from a
 Ubuntu machine)

br,
Dominik
--=20