Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:06:14 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>, Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 07:31:50PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> But in my home, yes.  The machine room (well, machine closet is more
> accurate), has a rack with my main fileserver in it, which recently got
> a sound card installed into it.  I've been using "tosha" (in the ports
> collection) to "rip" the data off audio CDs and saving them to disk.
> I'm using "sox" to convert the raw PCM data into .wav format.  And I'm
> using the 8hz MP3 encoder (see http://www.8hz.com) to encode them.  8hz
> provides a FreeBSD binary of their encoder free of charge.

FWIW, I've noticed that stuff encoded with 8hz doesn't always sound quite
right.  It's very subtile, but can become annoying at times.  There is another
free mp3 encoder at ' http://bladeenc.home.ml.org ', with a BSDi binary (not
sure if there is a FreeBSD one there or not, I haven't looked for a few
months).  This one has far better sound to my ears.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net> / Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
A Real Man's (tm) temperature guide:  Spit on the ground and watch.  If you