Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:05:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: periodic daily reruns rc.conf.local?

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> When periodic daily (and periodic monthly, and perhaps periodic
> weekly) run, they seem to also rerun rc.conf.local.  I have a
> couple programs that start from there.

> I have moved the stuff I start from rc.conf.local to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d, which is where it should be.  Nevertheless,
> why are the "periodics" rerunning rc.conf.local?  I don't see
> anything in the scripts that tells them to do this.  I have not
> edited them.

	There are a LOT of things in /etc that source
/etc/defaults/rc.conf (and thus, /etc/rc.conf[.local]). I would imagine
(although I haven't looked at the source) that periodic does this itself,
as oppposed to the scripts doing it. Either way, you've hit upon the
solution, namely don't start anything in the conf files. They should hold
variable definitions only. Perhaps we need better warnings/documentation
on this, since this is the second time it's come up (that I've seen) in
the last month or so.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"