Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:25:40 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detecting cards in USB card reader

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:11:11 +0000, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
> Although this gets round the
> problem I can't help feeling uncomfortable about attempting to write to
> raw devices and was wondering if there was any suitable usbconfig or
> HAL incantation which could be used to achieve the desired effect in a
> safer looking way.

I can understand this. Maybe accessing the "SCSI layer" of
the card reader can help? If

	% camcontrol reset all

will cause the same effect (of creating the correct nodes in
/dev), you can be more precise (e. g. just reset da0); see

	% man camcontrol

for further (and maybe more elegant) details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany