Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:15:07 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        tux@pinguru.net, wes@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org, mitsuru@riken.jp, sugimura@jp.FreeBSD.ORG, rtdean@cytherianage.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Oct 14, 2005, at 5:14 PM, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:

> Hi eclipse and eclipse related ports maintainers and users!
>
>     Some time ago, someone suggested that eclipse and eclipse
>     related ports should be located on proper categories.  I
>     think so.  So I suggest following repocopy list.  Anyone,
>     do you have any idea?
>
>     java/eclipse                -> devel/eclipse
>     java/eclipse-EPIC           -> editors/eclipse-EPIC
>     java/eclipse-cdt            -> editors/eclipse-cdt
>     java/eclipse-checkstyle     -> devel/eclipse-checkstyle
>     java/eclipse-clay-core      -> databases/eclipse-clay-core
>     java/eclipse-devel          -> devel/eclipse-devel
>     java/eclipse-emf            -> devel/eclipse-emf
>     java/eclipse-examples       -> devel/eclipse-examples
>     java/eclipse-gef            -> graphics/eclipse-gef
>     java/eclipse-gef-examples   -> graphics/eclipse-gef-examples
>     java/eclipse-langpack       -> devel/eclipse-langpack
>     java/eclipse-log4e          -> devel/eclipse-log4e
>     java/eclipse-lomboz         -> devel/eclipse-lomboz
>     java/eclipse-pmd            -> devel/eclipse-pmd
>     java/eclipse-quantum        -> databases/eclipse-quantum
>     java/eclipse-sqlexplorer    -> databases/eclipse-sqlexplorer
>     java/eclipse-sysdeo-tomcat  -> www/eclipse-sysdeo-tomcat
>     java/eclipse-uml            -> devel/eclipse-uml
>     java/eclipse-v4all          -> devel/eclipse-v4all
>     java/eclipse-vep            -> devel/eclipse-vep
>     java/eclipse-vep-examples   -> devel/eclipse-vep-examples
>     java/eclipse-viplugin       -> editors/eclipse-viplugin
>     java/eclipseme              -> devel/eclipseme
>     java/phpeclipse             -> editors/phpeclipse

I don't mind moving the eclipse ports from java to devel, but all the
other eclipse ports are add-ins to eclipse and should probably be
classified along with eclipse.

In particular, if eclipse is a 'devel' tool, I don't see how CDT and
phpeclipse are editors.  GEF isn't a graphics library, it's a
graphical emulation framework for eclipse, which is (again) a
development tool.

--
            Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Wes Peters