Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:58:32 -0400
From:      "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@metrics.com>
To:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD, FrontPage and DES

Has anyone successfully installed FrontPage 2002 extensions on FreeBSD 4.4?

I managed to get through the install process -- the 2002 extensions
explicitly support FreeBSD, and I now get a few steps into the
FrontPage-to-Apache connection.  But I fail in the authentication process.

I think this is because FrontPage uses DES, while FreeBSD 4.4 defaults to
MD5.  Or at least that's what my net.research tells me.

So, fin, I used CVS to retrieve new DES crypto sources.  I successfully
built the libdescrypt* libraries, copied them to /usr/lib, and symlinked the
libcrypt* libdescrypt* (four separate libraries).  But when I try to change
a password (plain old passwd command), i get an error:

murcielago 125 # passwd tomh

Changing local password for tomh.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: cannot set password cipher: Undefined error: 0
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
murcielago 126 #

I tried with a set of libdescrypt* libraries from a FreeBSD 4.1 system, and
I get exactly the same error.

Once I symlink libcrypt* back to the original files, all is well -- except
that I have no luck with FrontPage.

Thanks ...

Tom Haapanen
tomh@motorsport.com