Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:17:33 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC error reading fsb (?)

On Friday 07 September 2001 17:04, Randall Hopper wrote:
> Dave Uhring:
>  |On Thursday 06 September 2001 07:43 pm, Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |>      What do these messages mean?  Are CRCs done by the IDE
>  |> controller on DMA transfers and they're coming up wrong?
>  |>
>  |> ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 3283483 of 396704-396713
>  |> (ad0s2 bn 3283483; cn 204 tn 98 sn 49) retrying
>  |Your drive is dying.  Back it up and replace it.
>
> Ok, thanks.  But what do these messages "mean" on a technical level?
>
> And could these just as well indicate a marginal cable, bad
> connector, loose connector, or the other hard drive on the controller
> being a bit flakey?
>
> Randall

CRC's (16 bit cyclic redundancy check characters) have been done on
controllers since we had to use floppies.  The first Winchester drive
interface I ever designed back in 1979 had a Fairchild 9401 (IIRC) CRC
generator chip on it.  The writes are failing.  You "may" have marginal
cabling or loose or corroded connectors.

If you wish to keep using the drive, replace the cable and in doing so
your contacts will also wipe clean.