Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:46:26 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file descriptor leak in 5.2-RC

Hi.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 11:08:46AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> Hmm.  So this makes multiple reports, so we definitely have a problem.
> Are you using any sort of threaded applications -- if so, which threading
> packates are you using (linuxthreads, libc_r, libkse, et al).  Do you know
> if you're making use of /dev/fd/*, or /dev/std* in scripts on your system?
> Do you have any reports of unusual process exits (via signals, etc)?  If
> you look at the output of lsof or fstat while the system is actively
> running, it might be interesting to get a list of the kinds of sockets in
> use.  Somewhere, presumably we're slipping a file descriptor reference,
> perhaps in a failure mode that turns up frequently in your environment.
> Helping to identify what differentiates your environment from the ones
> where this doesn't turn up may help track down the problem.  The areas
> I've asked you to look at above are "interesting" file descriptor handling
> cases, and the problem might well be in one of these.

- No Linuxulator.
- Tried different Threading libs.
- I do not have any unusual exits (since upgrading the RAM to a
  resonable high size).

What's special is, that amavisd feeds a lot of mails to clamd via
socket. I did not do any counting by now, if the number of
kern.openfiles minus the values I get with lsof/fstat are close to the
number of mails feeded through the socket, but a rough guess is that the
number of leaked file descriptor is very close to the number of mails
that have been going through the system.

I saw in high traffic times about 6000-8000 kern.openfiles after 10-12
minutes of filtering, that sums up to about 10 per second. I will count
the number of mails fed through the system next time I try and will see
if I can see any relation (same number, twice or unrelated). I can do
the next test within the next few hours.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |