Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:35:22 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "Eichert, Diana" <deicher@sandia.gov>
Cc:        "'freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ia64 install problems WAS: install on Dell Precision Work Station 730

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:07:48PM -0700, Eichert, Diana wrote:
> WooHoo, that it was it.
>
> Now that I have a working keyboard/mouse I've managed to mess up
> the 1st hard drive.

:-)

Some notes:

1. We cannot get the USB stack to work on the BigSur yet. It appears
   that the moment we reset the 460GX, we reset the USB host controller
   and it's dead from that moment on. Resetting the machine may or may
   not fix this the first time around. I've had to reset the machine
   twice before an USB keyboard started to work again (in EFI).
   As such, we don't have support for the UHCI host controller in the
   kernel by default. Please do not add support without making sure
   you have a backup kernel that works :-)
2. The installer does not know how to create GPT based partitions yet.
   If a machine already has a GPT, it's probably a good idea to pre-
   partition. The installer should be smart enough to detect and use
   a GPT based FreeBSD partition. Note that the installer still insists
   on having a disklabel, so the GPT partition type should then be:
	516e7cb4-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b
   Don't worry if I'm not making sense to you :-)
3. On an empty disk, you can use the installer to partition it, but
   it will be a legacy (ie PC) MBR partition. You have to create an
   EFI partition by hand and you have to give it a mount point so
   that the installer will put the loader, kernel and modules on the
   EFI partition. Failure to do so will result in an unformatted
   (and thus useless) EFI partition and consequently an unbootable
   disk.

FYI,