Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:19:26 +0200
From:      Vusa Moyo <vusa@tuxsystems.co.za>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool upgrade and lz4 compression.

To elaborate,=20

Server 1=20

[root@qaMKSYSB01 /mksysb/qasediap01]# zfs set compression=3Dlz4 =
mksysb/qasediap01
[root@qaMKSYSB01 /mksysb/qasediap01]#=20

Server 2=20

[root@qaMKSYSB02 /var/db]# zfs set compression=3Dlz4 mksysb/qaiam05
cannot set property for 'mksysb/qaiam05': 'compression' must be one of =
'on | off | lzjb | gzip | gzip-[1-9] | zle'
[root@qaMKSYSB02 /var/db]#=20

On 30 Oct 2013, at 12:56 PM, Vusa Moyo <vusa@tuxsystems.co.za> wrote:

> Greetings all.=20
>=20
> I=92ve upgraded 2 FreeBSD 9.0 servers to 9.2=20
>=20
> FreeBSD qaMKSYSB01.sars.gov.za 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 =
r255898: Thu Sep 26 22:50:31 UTC 2013     =
root@bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>=20
>=20
> ..using the exact same procedure.=20
>=20
> On Server 1, I successfully managed to upgrade the zpool=92s to the =
version that supports lz4 compression.
> [...]

> [root@qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zfs upgrade -v
> The following filesystem versions are supported:
>=20
> VER  DESCRIPTION
> ---  --------------------------------------------------------
> 1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
> 2   Enhanced directory entries
> 3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifier (FUID)
> 4   userquota, groupquota properties
> 5   System attributes
>=20
> For more information on a particular version, including supported =
releases,
> see the ZFS Administration Guide.
>=20
> [root@qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zpool upgrade -v
> This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.
>=20
> The following versions are supported:
>=20
> VER  DESCRIPTION
> ---  --------------------------------------------------------
> 1   Initial ZFS version
> 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
> 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
> 4   zpool history
> 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
> 6   bootfs pool property
> 7   Separate intent log devices
> 8   Delegated administration
> 9   refquota and refreservation properties
> 10  Cache devices
> 11  Improved scrub performance
> 12  Snapshot properties
> 13  snapused property
> 14  passthrough-x aclinherit
> 15  user/group space accounting
> 16  stmf property support
> 17  Triple-parity RAID-Z
> 18  Snapshot user holds
> 19  Log device removal
> 20  Compression using zle (zero-length encoding)
> 21  Deduplication
> 22  Received properties
> 23  Slim ZIL
> 24  System attributes
> 25  Improved scrub stats
> 26  Improved snapshot deletion performance
> 27  Improved snapshot creation performance
> 28  Multiple vdev replacements
>=20
> For more information on a particular version, including supported =
releases,
> see the ZFS Administration Guide.
>=20
> [root@qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zpool upgrade  =20
> This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.
>=20
> All pools are formatted using this version.
> [root@qaMKSYSB02 ~]#=20
>=20
>=20
> I think the problem may lie in the=20
>=20
> freebsd-update fetch=20
>=20
> program.=20
>=20
> [root@qaMKSYSB02 ~]# freebsd-update fetch
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE from =
update2.freebsd.org... done.