Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:15:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problem: file doesn't appear in file listing,	but can be accessed directly

> On 08/08/2010 02:06 AM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> >> On 07.08.2010, at 02:35, Rick Macklem wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree, this must be some kind of server issue then. Still, I
> >> wonder
[stuff snipped]
> Doing a find . in the directory on both FreeBSD and Solaris client
> shows
> some differences.
> So what I have now is: both the normal and the experimental NFSD show
> the problem on both FreeBSD and Solaris clients (only the missing file
> names are different).
>
> On Solaris there are 78 files missing, on FreeBSD there are 193, I
> haven't checked that they are persistent across reboots or not.

Ok, so it seems to be a server issue. Since there are quite a few files
missing, I'm surprised others aren't seeing problmes?

I suspect it is some interaction between ZFS and the NFS server that
is causing this, but that's just a hunch. Possibly a problem w.r.t.
how the directory offset cookies are handled.

Can you conveniently move the directory to a UFS2 volume and export
that, to see if the problem then goes away?

Also, what architecture is the server running? (I'm wondering if
it might be an endianness or 32/64 bit issue related to the
directory offset cookies.? Just wild guesses at this point.)

If you can't move the directory to UFS2 or that doesn't fix
the problem, all I can think to do is write/run a little program
locally on the server that does getdirentries() on the directory,
to try and spot something that might confuse the NFS server. (I can
write such a program for you, but I'd like to hear if it is a ZFS
specific problem first.

rick