Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:45:23 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tcpd in 4.0-stable

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tobias Roth" <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>

| I actually don't really care if there is no tcpd executable on the system,
| as long as it's running (I guess that's what 'integrated in the base
| system' means, no executable to start, but it's working anyway). After
| all, the include file is present, and if you copy the manpage as well, you
| got all you need.

Traditionally there is no tcpd service started at boot time.  It is
typically executed as a front end to services listed in inetd.conf, and some
stuff (like sendmail and portmap) can be built to link to its library
(libwrap.a) to provide access control services.

You should care if there is a tcpd executable -- you won't have any services
started from inetd if your inetd.conf calls it to start other services...

| Just trust me on this one, your tcpd works, even if you can't find an
| executable. If you don't trust me, just check if I'm right by testing it

Even if there is an executable, tcpd itself won't be doing anything unless
inetd.conf is modified to use tcpd as a front end to the activated services.
Applications linked against libwrap are another matter.

On a side note, if tcpd is in 4.0's base system, what included services are
linked against libwrap?  portmap?  nfs?  sendmail?  It would nice if
everything with that option was buildable with that option.