Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:16:57 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Robert G." <rob5g@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timezone isn't setting to EST corectly, ntp doesn't help

Robert G. wrote:
> I'm connected to a remote machine located in NJ and ran
> /usr/sbin/sysinstall and set the timezone to "Eastern Time", but the
> clock is displaying 2:30PM or so when it is only 10:44AM here.
>
> I tried ntp but that didn't work as well.  Does anyone have any idea
> what's wrong?

Your BIOS clock is probably set to keeping time in the local timezone rather
than in GMT.

ntpd won't correct a multi-hour offset without being nudged.  You can run
ntpdate -b to step the clock by the four hours, or use date to set it to
something close by hand, and then run ntpd from there.

--
-Chuck