Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:34:19 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

> > Also, I noticed that the i386 patch doesn't save FP state (!) which is
> > one of the primary reasons for get/setcontext().  I'm not sure if this
> > can be efficiently done since this user-level function will not know if
> > the current context has touched the FPU yet..
>
> Neither does the kernel, does it?  I thought I saw comments in the
> kernel (was it alpha?) about it being too bad that we couldn't tell
> if the FPU was used.  In libc_r, we currently only save and restore the
> FP state when the context is generated from a signal handler (or perhaps
> in the case of KSEs, when the thread was preempted).

Hmm, IIRC, Java's green threads saves the FP context everytime it does a
thread switch, since it has no way of knowing if the thread was doing FP
context.  Is there a way to force get/setcontext to always/conditionally
save the FP context, for applications that either know they need to have
it saved?

Nate