Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:56:15 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <gamera@pacbell.net>
To:        RL <rlurman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running own servers

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:24:17PM -0500, RL wrote:
> Hi. I currently have a cable modem, but I want to (if it's not too
> pricey) run my own servers including DNS server.  My cable provider
> currently doesn't offer static IPs so I have a dynamic.  How would I
> go about setting up my own DNS? Would I do it through the cable modem?
> Wouldn't I have to buy an IP block and be the authority for it? I'm a
> little lost. :)

You will have problems doing this unless you have a static IP. I don't
think any cable service offers that. You can run a DNS server on an
internal network in your case. It's also possible to run a dynamic IP
resolver service, like No-IP's (dns/noip), but that is far from perfect,
unless you're just doing this for testing. For any real-world purpose,
you really have to have a static IP and a fully-qualified hostname. I
have read of people running their own servers for everyday use using
something like No-IP, but if you're running a mail server, you will most
likely have to deal with mail being rejected because of blacklisting
(many ISPs block all major ISPs' dynamic blocks from sending to their
mail servers to prevent spam), as well as reverse dns problems. It can
work alright for a small website server setup for fun or testing, or
something that won't require complicated network protocols.

- jt