Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:02:57 -0500
From:      "William Wallace" <ww@austin.rr.com>
To:        "Dominic Marks" <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on Alpha problems

> > Another point of interest:  Apparently the version of OpenSSH installed
with
> > the base system has problems with privilege separation, whereas the
version
> > that can be installed from ports (openssh-portable) does not.  They
report
> > the exact same version, yet the base system one reports some sort of
"read
> > error" when a client tries to connect, and terminates the connection
> > immediately, whereas the ports version, using
> > "sshd_program=/usr/local/sbin/sshd" in rc.config, works just fine with
an
> > identical config file.
>
> Is this specific to FreeBSD/alpha ? I haven't had the same experience
> with FreeBSD 4.6 on i386 machines.

Yes, I haven't seen the problem at all on i386.  I'm sure I can get more
detailed information from the server machine (as well as ssh -v) if you
think that would be helpful.  Is there a particular log file that would be
useful?

Funny, the above problem was one of the reasons I decided to go for a clean
re-install after trying to figure out what I was missing from my old setup.
Upgrading to a bigger and faster hard drive was worth it though.

Thanks,
- William.