Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:15:38 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies' list problem

--v9Ux+11Zm5mwPlX6

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 05:07:55PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > We've got a problem :)
> >=20
> > The ALL-DEPENDS-LIST variable that is defined in bsd.port.mk lists
> > (recursively) a port's dependencies, keeping a list of those processed
> > and only adding new ones when they are not already in the list.
> >=20
> > Or is that right?
> >=20
> > [roam@straylight:v1 /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore]$ make all-depends-list | =
fgrep gettext
> > /usr/ports/devel/gettext
> > /usr/ports/devel/gettext-old
> > [roam@straylight:v1 /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore]$ cd ../../devel/bonobo-co=
nf/
> > [roam@straylight:v1 /usr/ports/devel/bonobo-conf]$ make all-depends-lis=
t | fgrep gettext
> > /usr/ports/devel/gettext-old
> > [roam@straylight:v1 /usr/ports/devel/bonobo-conf]$
> >=20
> > As you can see, devel/bonobo-conf, which depends on gnomecore, does NOT
> > list devel/gettext as a dependency.  The reason?  Simple:
> > ALL-DEPENDS-LIST uses ${GREP} -qwv (bsd.port.mk, line 3050), and grep(1)
> > treats '-' as a word separator, thus stating that 'devel/gettext' is
> > contained within 'devel/gettext-old' and need not be added to the list
> > of dependencies.
> >=20
> > How to repeat - either issue the commands above, or simply issue a
> > 'make fetch-recursive' in ports/mail/evolution and watch it NOT fetch
> > gettext-0.11.0..
>=20
> You are wrong. bonobo-conf doesn't require gettext to build or run,
> but requires gettext-old to run properly. Evolution requires gettext
> for building and gettext-old for building and running, therefore you
> see what you see.

Erm.. shouldn't 'make fetch-recursive' fetch all the files needed by
this port *and all its dependencies*?  In other words, fetch all the
distfiles that would be needed for a build on a pristine installation,
with absolutely no packages installed?  In this case, I want to do the
fetch once (slow dial-up connection from home, etc) for all the ports
that will need to be updated; IMHO, msgfmt-new is a dependency - albeit
somewhat indirect - too..

Maybe I am somehow misinterpreting the meaning of 'fetch-recursive';
in that case, it would seem that the behavior until now has been the
fortunate result of a glitch :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20