Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:41:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ksmm@cybercom.net (The Classiest Man Alive)
Cc:        joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

> >Is there VFAT32 support in the current msdosfs? If not,m I'd be ready to try
> >and do it..
> >Note: From what I've heared, Windows95 that supports VFAT isn't even shipped
> >any more. So this will probably be dying out soon.. :-)
> >

> Where'd you hear that?  Doesn't seem like Microsoft to just break the chain
> of backward compatibility like that.

New machines shiped with OEMSR2 come with VFAT32 preinstalled.  This
is basically every new Dell and similar manufacturer's machines.

These machines are capable of reading long-name-in-volume-label FAT
drives ("VFAT").  But the partitions they use by default, and the
partition table format, and the MBR and the io.sys/io.dos/msdos.dos
where the INT 21 interface is instantiated *all* expect VFAT32.  I'm
not sure that an OEMSR2 INT 21 is capable of identifying and booting
from a "VFAT" drive at all.

Certaily, tools like "parted" will have to be updated...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.