Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:33:32 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi-firmware port

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:12:28 -0400
"Timothy Radigan" <tradigan@newrevolutions.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>

> I installed the iwi-firmware and iwi-firmware-kmod ports and I am now
>
> trying to load specific firmware on the iwi adapter but it keeps failing.
>
> The port installs fine and puts the firmware to /boot/firmware.  The docs
>
> for iwicontrol state to load firmware for a specific function issue a:
>

> iwicontrol -i iwi0 -d /boot/firmware -m bss
>

> Every time I issue that command I get an error saying it cannot load
>
> firmware: Invalid argument.
>

> The system is FreeBSD 6.2 with an Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG adapter.  I
>
> have the most up to date stable source and ports tree.
>

> I also tried the ipw-firmware port but that did not pick up my adapter
>
> when I loaded the kernel module.
>

> Any ideas?

here are some examples from my laptop, an IBM T42, with the same wireless adapter as yours.

in /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_iwi0="DHCP WPA"
iwi_enable="YES"
iwi_interfaces="iwi0"
iwi_mod_iwi0="bss"

in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
        ssid="network"
        psk="wpa-passwd"
}

and in /boot/loader.conf:

# Wireless Network - Intel BG2200
if_iwi_load="YES"
wlan_acl_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"

and finally, the port:
[jhorne@rigel ~]$ pkg_info |grep iwi
iwi-firmware-kmod-3.0_2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Firmware Kernel Module

hope this helps,
jonathan