Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:41:07 -0400
From:      Mark Thomas <thomas@pbegames.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk disaster recovery

At 11:40 AM 6/12/01 -0400, Mark Thomas wrote:
>Well, I think I've managed to do something incredibly stupid here.

Followup to my really stupid move. I think I've fixed it.

Summary of stupid action:

>This AM I moved an Adaptec 2940U adapter over to my 4.2S FBSD development machine with the intent of using a SCSI Jaz for backups. I also moved over a SCSI drive which is configured as a bootable 3.2S FBSD drive. The original system had a single 10GB IDE drive running a close to default partitions (/ /var swap /usr).
>
>The first time I rebooted with the new hardware I accidentally booted off of the old SCSI drive. I hit reset (ick), turned off the BIOS on the SCSI controller and rebooted from the IDE. This time the machine booted off of the correct drive, but reported problems with ad0s1f (/usr). I'm fairly sure the old 3.2S SCSI drive was installed dangerously dedicated. I MAY have answered Y to a fsck prompt here concerning /dev/ad0s1f. :(
>
>Did wd possibly hose my ad large disk?

I think it rewrote the partition entry for the drive.

Solution:

Dig through old /var/log/messages and install notes and find the original fdisk information. Reset the drive's partition information to previous values. Cross fingers. Reboot. Drive and all partitions/slices are perfectly restored.

Morale of story:

1. Do backups!
2. Take notes on installation configuration!

Mark
---
thomas@pbegames.com -------------> http://www.pbegames.com/~thomas
Play by Electron Games ----------> http://www.pbegames.com