Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 00:00:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Mike Barton" <mike@dad.state.vt.us>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

Mike Barton <mike@dad.state.vt.us> types:
> Are there any issues with placing swap first on the hard drive? Unless you
> insist on filling the drive, it seems to me that this swap arrangement would
> result in less stack travel.

Not that I know of. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of my systems
has root on s2, with swap on s1, which is earlier on the hard disk.

The idea behind root being first was similar, with root having the
most used files on it. For instance, every time you open a file with
an absolute path - say, by finding it on your command search path -
you start with the root directory. Then again - the geometry of modern
diskdrives is seriously non-intuitive.

Final note - John Loverso pointed out to me that the current kernel
does indeed expect c to be the entire slice. At the very least, it has
to have the partition table in it. It's not clear what will fail if
you make it cover the first part of the disk, but not the entire disk.

I think I'm going to add playing with this to my list of things to
do....

	<mike