Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:19:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Wilde <twilde@dyndns.org>
To:        Chris <cs052279@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have I been hacked?

> That is the problem.  The IP addresses listed here are
> real.  I have no machine with an IP of 0.0.0.0,68.  It
> is going from my firewall to the inside of my
> network.
> It looks like something on the firewall is looking for
> a dhcp server.  The IP 0.0.0.0 looks very suspicious
> to me.

I'm no expert on DHCP, but I'm relatively sure that'd be what a normal
DHCP request would look like - the box requesting a DHCP lease doesn't
have an IP address, so it sends it's DHCP discovery packet off with a
source of 0.0.0.0 and a destination of 255.255.255.255 (the ethernet
broadcast, unless I'm mistaken), UDP port 67.  If you don't have anything
that should be requesting a DHCP lease, that could be a problem, but if
you're running dhclient anywhere, it's probably normal.

Tim

--
Tim Wilde
twilde@dyndns.org