Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:13:31 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Don@PartsNow.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Receive time on email messages

At 12:39 PM 3/28/97 -0800, Don Wilde wrote:
>We use Netscape mail for a simplistic Windows intf to our POP3 on
>FreeBSD. Not only that, but the TCP/IP stack is on the Novell server,
>and the PC's run IPX. Not only THAT, but I use the TIS fwtk smap daemon.

Wish NetScrape would have stuck with Eudora for the mail part, but each to
their own.  No all-in-one package out there is all that good.

>	NS 3.01 doesn't break any file attachments, no matter HOW big. Our

Uh, I re-read my post and did not imply this.  I am talking about the
"body" of the message, not the attchment, which I have pushed to 20+ Mb
(for testing only).  The limit is so that the program does not consume all
available memory.

>limit is the fact that smap queues the mail and then the mailq does
>again, so you effectively need 2x the space. Our company LIVES on files,
>we take 3D CAD and turn it into molds for metal parts. Most of our
>customers are polite enough to use ftp, but you can't turn down a job
>just because somebody's firewall is not set up for ftp. I have had 80MB
>files go through unscathed. (side note: I have had just as many bounced
>because ISP's or servers are unwilling to allocate queue for large
>files)

What did you decide on a limit for?  We have 5Mb, which is more than
enough.  I see a lot of large PowerPoint attachments that clog mail.  The
call tech support and end up with the plumber, me.

As for smap.  Depending on how much mail traffic is currently being used,
it is not even close to 2 times the space.  More like 1 time and about 1Mb,
as SMAPD pushes them to sendmail's queue and senmdail runs every 5 minutes
under cron.  Not instant anymore, but still I may drop to 1 or 2 minutes.
Most are queue'd for non-delivery (timeouts, deferred, etc).  Rare is the
time we bog and I have thrown over 3000 queue'd message in less than 20
minutes.  One minute queue scan for when I got MCI to drop their false BGP
announcement.

It is hacked to run as a deamon and will spawn, which makes it faster than
normal SMTP in the real world.

>	Oh, yes... back to the original thread, the receive time is correct :-)

True, but I feel that how services are used is valid thing.  With that in
mind, some admins need to run a faster mail server, of a certainty I don't
expect lighnting speed from a .edu domain.  ;-)

Suppose we could do a subject change or drop off the list.  Even if I don't
participate some digressions are worth the traffic.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990