Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:35:48 +0200
From:      "Aijaz Baig" <aijaz.abaig@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   incomplete 'portupgrade -a' command

Hello,

I installed 'portupgrade' on my system the other day and was mentioned in
this <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-using.html>document
issued the following command after installlaing it.

'portupgrade -a'.

After that my computer was like doing a hell lot of things which I suppose
included updating the indices of the ports isn't it? Does 'portupgrade -a'
updates only the indices of the various ports that are registered in the
ports subdirectory or does it INSTALL all of them into the computer?If its
the latter than I am kinda jacked I guess as I would have to see which ports
have been installed and which ports have been left hanging and accordingly
removed the unwanted ports and shred the stuff that has been downloaded
without being installed.

While it was working my other applications almost froze and I couldn't do
nothing so I issued something like 'ctrl+alt+F9' (I do not remember which
function key it was) and the computer rebooted(I suppose that combination
means reboot on the xfce).

Due to this the 'portupgrade -a' command was left in the middle. SO I assume
that there could have been instances wherein the source code or other such
things might have been fetched without being installed.

Can I use the 'portsclean -C' command mentioned on the same page in that
document to clean the work directories of all the installed ports?

Hope to hear from you,

Best Regards,

Aijaz Baig.