Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:49:25 +0100
From:      "Sijmen J. Mulder" <ik@sjmulder.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to set up a build environment in /compat/linux

Hi all,

With Linux emulation enabled I can successfully run a statically linked
Linux binary that I built on an Ubuntu system (with musl libc).

I'd like to install the necessary development tools (compilers,
libraries, headers, etc) in the Linux compat environment. It appears
that linux_base-c6 does not contain a package manager (yum or dnf).
What's the best way to install these tools? Did people have success
installing and using a package manager, or should I manually download
RPMs, or even compile from source?

The wiki has this guide: https://wiki.freebsd.org/VIMAGE/Linux/CentOS55
but it's rather old and I couldn't learn much from it.

Alternatively I'd also be interested in cross compiling to Linux
directly from FreeBSD, if that's more practical. Still I'd need the
headers and libraries.

Cheers,
Sijmen