Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 08:58:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: xview problem (olvwm)

Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> >> This looks like OPENWINHOME not being defined in the first place
> >> but it definitely *is* defined (in my .cshrc). I'm running tcsh
> >> (built under FreeBSD-2.0.5).
> >
> >> Any clues?
> >
> >.xsession is exec'd out of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession, so it's
> >most likely being run by sh, unless you've got #!/bin/csh at the
> >top.
> >
> >In that case, it's not surprising that OPENWINHOME isn't being set.
> >Either set it in your .profile, or in .xsession
>
> C'mon, you can't be serious, setting OPENWINHOME in .cshrc not being
> sufficient? The environment is a thing independent from the shell

"C'mon" ?  Look, let's follow the little tree and lets see where
OPENWINHOME might possibly be read out of your .chsrc :

If we assume you start xdm out of /etc/ttys (the best way) :

init -> xdm -> sh Xsession -> exec ~user/.xsession -> exec wm

Or if you start it out of /etc/rc.local :

init -> sh /etc/rc.local -> xdm -> ...

Hmm.  Nothing there is going to read your ~/.chsrc... looks like you're
SOL.  (Actually, somewhere in there your default shell should run
~/.login, but that makes the line too long 8)

> being used, isn't it? This has always worked before. And I see it working

No, the environment is normally _inherited_ from the parent process.
If OPENWINHOME isn't defined in any of the parent environments, it's
only going to be defined if the shell gets told to do it.  If you only
have the instructions in ~/.cshrc, the only thing that's going to
know to set is is a csh variant.

> on another machine here with an old 'props' (1.1.5.1) client. And
> I don't have any OPENWINHOME setting elsewhere on that machine
> be it in .xsession or in .profile. I don't have a .profile at all.

Then I'd assume that the OPENWINHOME default is fine on that machine,
but not on the newer one.

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[