Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:08:49 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        paulo@nlink.com.br, never@nevermind.kiev.ua, gavin@ury.york.ac.uk, boland@alexander.diva.nl, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE -> 4.5-RELENG

> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:32:56 +0200
> From: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:56:14 -0700
> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
>
> KO> While there are a few niggles, the proper sequence  is:
> KO> mergemaster -p (This is NEW!)
>
> 	Isn't this better after the buildworld and kernel runs on the basis
> that if they fail you are not going to complete an install and so may not
> want the mergemaster -p changes - I've never seen anything in mergemaster -p
> that could be considered harmful but I like the easy back out after the
> smoke test reboot (OK I know it's not just a smoke test).
>
> KO> make buildworld
> KO> make kernel KERNCONF=your_kernel_conf_name
> KO> REBOOT into single-user mode! (This does not mean drop to single user.)
> KO> fsck -p
> KO> mount -a -t ufs
>
> 	Can it safely go here (this is where I usually do it).

Doing a mergemaster -p here simply is the same as not running it at
all. From the mergemaster man page:
     -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be essen-
                 tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
                 /etc/make.conf.

So it is clearly intended to be run BEFORE buildworld.

It was added to work around the requirement that new accounts be added
to the system for sendmail before sendmail was built when 8.12 was
added. If you had not kept stable (the new accounts had been added to
the sources some time earlier), the attempt to install the new
sendmail would fail. the '-p' option was added to allow the system to
build and only does a comparison on master.passwd and groups. These
are files that you typically don't want to simply install the new
version and additions to them should never cause a problem to a
running system. (I'm a bit uncomfortable about deletions, though.)

You always want to run the version of mergemaster in the new system
(/usr/src/usr.sbin) so that you will run a version that has any
special stuff added/removed from the pre-buildworld to avoid
problems. (This was pointed out by a couple of others shortly after I
posted my list of upgrade steps.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)