Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:11:25 +0530
From:      Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com>
To:        yraffah@savola.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Question

yr> This is the output of dmesg with my boot
yr> /boot/kernel.old/kernel:

You use a number of devices in your machine that I'm
unfamiliar with.  So, YMMV with the advice below :).

yr> FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 #9: Thu Oct 20 21:36:39 AST 2005
yr>     root@RedDevil.savola.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL

yr> module firewire already present!

I don't know why this message should appear here, early
in the kernel boot process.  You might want to
check your config file.

yr> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
yr> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
yr> est: Please update driver or contact the maintainer.

We lack a manual page for this driver.  Grr.

gr> iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem \
yr> 0xb000b000-0xb000bfff irq 11 at device 4.0 on pci6
yr> iwi0: Ethernet address: 00:12:f0:63:ae:ca

This driver had a very recent MFC done to it.

yr> That is my /boot/loader.conf:
yr> autoboot_delay=3D"3"
yr> if_iwi_load=3D"YES"
yr> wlan_wep_load=3D"YES"

I would suggest trying a RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE GENERIC
kernel with all modules disabled, and then enable stuff
in steps.  You may want to check if your
ports/net/iwi-firmware installation is upto-date too.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy