Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:27:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Mike Holling <myke@fks.bt>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: joystick on als120

On 29-Oct-00 Mike Holling wrote:
> > I think it was broken around newbus and not fixed since (not exactly a core
> > driver I guess ;)
>  Well, the joystick driver should be pretty simple to fix.  Are the ALS120
>  data sheets publically available?  Has anyone else been working on this
>  recently, or just I just start hacking at it?

You don't need the data sheets for a particular chip, just how the joystick
port works.

There is a bitmask for the buttons, and to read the potentiometers you write to
the port and keep reading until the POTX/Y bits go low and the elapsed time
tells you what the resitance is (and hence the position of the joystick).

Some joysticks (eg MS Sidewinder) have a digital mode which is fairly evil, you
put the joystick in this mode by writing to the port several times with several
carefully crafted delays, then you read the joystick data by writing and
polling the joystick button lines (uses 2, 1 clock and 1 data) to get a 64 bit
value back which contains analogue positioning info and button/hat states. It
is discussed in US patent #5628686 (which MS hold funnily enough..)

Here are some interesting URLs you might find useful ->
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick/
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/docs/joystick/
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US05628686__

---