Date:      Fri, 22 May 2009 23:04:05 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   backspace-key and ^H when ssh -X remote.

guys,

here's a bug with how the backspace key doesn't work across computers.
i'm not sure if there were troubles going from FBSD to FBSD, but there is
when i ssh from my ubuntu platform to my main desktop.  i do this to edit
files or for replying to mutt mail using vi.

going from ethos [ubuntu] to tao [fbsd] and using vi, the backspace key
is translated to \177 and is echoed as "^?".  it does not erase.  i have
to type

% stty erase ^V [backspacekey]

to fix this problem. otherwise, to erase a character, i have to type a
control-H. it is exact the same problem going from fbsd to ubunto.
has anybody seen this before?

tia,

gary

--