Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:42:01 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

>Basically, it's OK for FreeBSD to be anywhere Microsoft doesn't
>currently want, but if you try and push it somewhere they've peed
>(or Apple tries to push it in one of those places), then it's
>"obviously ill suited, and can never be made to work" (paraphrasing).
>
> Anthony is pretty much here (and on -chat) as a
> Microsoft appologist and advocate.
>
> I'm paraphrasing you.
>
> And that last statement pretty well establishes it, doesn't it?

What the hell is this, if you don't support The Cause 100%, you're one of
the enemy ?  This makes me sick.  Do you have to hate Microsoft and agree
with everything they're accused of in order to support FreeBSD ?  What the
hell are we now, linux-advocacy ?  FreeBSD stands on it's own merits, not by
detracting from others.

Everyone can have their own opinions about where Microsoft succeeds and
where FreeBSD succeeds.  And as for the person who asked if this was
Microsoft-advocacy, what exactly are you thinking ?  That there can be a
discussion of FreeBSD advocacy without talking about the alternatives ?
Rather than making any points about anything, it just seems like people are
characterizing other people and attacking them for any affections they might
have for Microsoft.  Let me say this again:

FreeBSD stands on it's own merits, not by detracting from others.

I'm a Win32 API programmer that uses Windows 2000 or XP on the desktop.  I
love Office XP.  However, I have two huge FreeBSD servers at my feet that I
just setup for a contract, when I'm moonlighting on my job as a FreeBSD
admin.  If you can't accept that both operating systems have their own
merits, or you think that FreeBSD is the end-all solution to everything, you
don't make a good advocate for FreeBSD and should unsubscribe from the list.
I am an advocate of FreeBSD, and I have converted many people.  But I didn't
do it by being a prick-face-Microsoft-sucks-ass-FreeBSD-rules-all moron.  I
leave that kind of crap for the Linux kiddies.  Don't characterize other
people as Microsoft-lovers just because they don't agree with all of your MS
hate.

You don't have to hate Microsoft to love FreeBSD.