Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2013 02:26:02 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kenneth Merry <ken@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ada(4) and ahci(4) quirk printing

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:44:57AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
> On 22.04.2013 08:14, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >I've written the following patches and done the following testing (see
> >the results.*.txt files):
> >
> >http://jdc.koitsu.org/freebsd/quirk_printing/
> >
> >Important: these are against stable/9 r249715.
> >
> >Folks are welcome to try these; I've tested about as best as I can.
> >
> >Questions/comments for Alexander and Kenneth:
> >
> >1. I'm not sure if the location of where I added the printf() code is
> >correct or not,
>
> It seems fine for me.
>
> >2. Not sure if loader.conf(5) forced-quirks would show up here or not,
>
> As I see, they will.
>
> >3. It would be nice to have the same for SCSI da(4).  I took a stab at
> >this but the printing code I wrote never got called (or the quirks entry
> >I added wasn't right, not sure which),
> >
> >4. I strongly believe quirk printing should be shown *without* verbose
> >booting.  I say this because I noticed some of the CAPAB printf()s only
> >get shown if bootverbose is true.  In fact, it's what prompted me to
> >open PR 178040 ("My Intel 320 and 510-series SSDs don't show 4K quirks,
> >yet advertise 512 logical and physical in IDENTIFY?!  PR time!").
>
> Let me disagree. bootverbose keeps dmesg readable for average user,
> while quirks are specific driver workarounds and their names may
> confuse more then really help. If every driver print its quirks,
> dmesg would be two times bigger. There is bootverbose for it.

I'm willing to bend on this assuming that userland has a way to display
the quirks.  I've already had one user contact me off-list stating that
displaying of quirks is useful to them, but *without* bootverbose
(because bootverbose shows too much information for them to have to sift
through).  And display of quirks (or in this case) was what prompted me
to create PR 178040, since I had just *assumed* FreeBSD had 4K quirks in
place for both models of SSDs.

I think sysctl would be an ideal place for this.  Is it possible to
export active device quirks to sysctl (say kern.cam.ada.X.quirks),
read-only, and preferably as a string (same printf() style used)?  Or
does that introduce complexities?

If we can't reach an agreement, I'm happy to wrap the relevant bits with
an "if (bootverbose)", but I really feel users should have some way to
see this information outside of bootverbose.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |