Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 13:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, matt@lkg.dec.com, vernick@cs.sunysb.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI/EISA/ISA performance

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > ISA does not have a specified clock frequency, I have seen it running
> > > as fast as 16Mhz.  Most boards die above 10Mhz, but some of the more
> > > specialized industrial applications boards are spec'd upto 12 or 16Mhz.
> >
> > actually... I think that I am currently running my isa bus at 16mhz... I
> > think for a while I was tring to run the bus at 20... but it was falling
> > over and wouldn't boot...  and this is with ne2000 clone cards... and
> > other generic cards...
>
> I suspect you are off by a factor of 2, I haven't seen a ``generic''
> card of any sort that would run at 12Mhz, let alone 16Mhz.  IDE controllers
> are famous for falling over above 10Mhz (ever done a transmission line
> simulation of an unterminated ribbon cable :-)).

also... I am running a VL/Bus IDE controler if that makes any difference...

> If your basing this on a CPUCLK/N value and you think CPUCLK is 66 Mhz
> because that is what the crystal is you have made a mistake.  Can you
> tell me what CPU chip you have, what speed is it, and what your BIOS
> says about ISA bus clock speed settings (list all the valid values).

ok... I have a Intel 486/33DX that I am running at 40Mhz with a cpu
cooling fan attached...  I know that it is running at 40Mhz as I set the
jumpers (mb used os chip) and sysinfo returns it...  I have the CLK set
to CLK2/2....

> Also what BIOS is it?  AMI,  Pheonix, AWARD or someone else.

it is an AMI bios...

> Realize a 486DX33, 486DX2/66 and 486DX4/100** all run with a CPUCLK of
> 33 Mhz.  A 486DX25, 486DX2/50 and 486DX4/75 all run with a CPUCLK of
> 25 Mhz.  A 486DX50 runs with a CPUCLK of 50Mhz.

yup...  so my computer is running at 40mhz... no double or anything...

> ** The 486DX4/100 can also be run with a CPUCLK of 50Mhz if the motherboard
> supports the 1:2 bus/core ratio jumper.

kool... might want to look into this :)

> Pentium processors are similiar except the CPUCLK values are 50Mhz, 60Mhz
> and 66Mhz.

possibly 90Mhz??  or is that achived some other way?

thanks for the info though... TTYL...
John-Mark Gurney

gurney_j@efn.org -or-
gurney_j@4j.lane.edu -or-