Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions"@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linking a dir

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Gary wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:58:31 AM, you wrote:
>
> >> dev/ad0s1a    128990   86254   32418    73%    /
> >>
> >> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel
> >> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel.GENERIC
> >>
> >> I don't know which kernel is being used... Deleting one would surely help.
>
> MM> Unless you're specifying it at boot, you can safely remove kernel.GENERIC.
>
> How do I know which one is being loaded, can't seem to find it in dmesg.

Whichever kernel is specified as "kernel" will be loaded by default unless
you specify otherwise at the boot prompt.  If you have built multiple
kernels and need to verify which is the current default, uname -a will
identify which source was used. I think kernel.GENERIC is included by
default with each release to make sure you have a bootable kernel in the
event of problems with one you have compiled yourself and can be moved or
deleted if you are using the default anyways.

Cheers,

Viktor