Date:      16 Jan 2001 14:37:55 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2R install on HP Vectra won't boot: no bootmgr, cursor hangs

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:41:29 -0500 (EST), Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com> said:

Joe> I know some BIOS's prevent programs from writing to the MBR. You
Joe> might want to check your bios for some sort of virus protections
Joe> and if it does hand it and is enabled disable it.

That had occurred to me and I'm 99.9999% certain I disabled this BIOS
misfeature.  That's also why I mentioned the other two OSes that were
on the two disks I tried: the computer initially saw the old OS
partitions on both disks, but after the FreeBSD install, it didn't
present me with the bootmgr or the error that (in the one case)
Solaris wasn't found.  So it sounds like it *did* overwrite the MBR. Right?