Date:      26 Jul 1996 18:54:23 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux -- one user's opinions

>> On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 22:12:38 -0400 (EDT), Bill/Carolyn Pechter
>> <pechter@shell.monmouth.com> said:

    BP> FreeBSD's networking and NFS was a lot better than earlier
    BP> Linux.  I run both here (mostly FreeBSD though) and I've found
    BP> that they both have advantages.  Linux felt snappier under
    BP> light loads.  FreeBSD is industrial strength Unix with great
    BP> support from people who KNOW Unix.

Not true anymore. I run both now, and for light loads both seem
equally snappy. When doing heavy I/O however FreeBSD seems to handle
it somewhat better.

    BP> Linux is closer to SysV (my preference) but FreeBSD is a good
    BP> Solid Berkeley varient.

That depends. You can run Linux with a BSD feeling too, since there is
not 1 distribution. For example, most distributions come with a SYSV
init and all these horrible /etc/rc?.d directories. But the standard
linux-utils package has a BSD like init and a simple /etc/rc and
/etc/rc.local sample file.

The same goes for most other things.

    BP> FreeBSD matches up against the BSD admin methods and books on admin.
    BP> Linux sometimes floats between SysV and BSD on a per-utility basis.

True, and as I said, often you can choose between both and follow your
taste (the problem is of course that every Linux system can be quite
different from another one).