Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 10:23:53 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
To:        Jim Prettyman <jimprettyman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running i386 binaries on amd64

Jim Prettyman wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have just installed FreeBSD-6.1-R on an athlon64 box, which is my
>> > first ever experience with amd. I was under the impression that the
>> > amd64 machines could run binaries built for the i386, but I'm not
>> > having much luck with the system as it is now.
>>
>> What are the symptoms you see?
>
> My initial test was with bash from my i386 box. It failed to run with
> 'Shared object "linintl.so.6" not found'. That lib exists in
> /usr/local/lib, but is presumably the wrong type for the i386 binary
> to use.
>
>> > Am I trying to do something that can't be done? Or is there some magic
>> > that I need to apply first?
>>
>> You need 'COMPAT_IA32' compiled into the kernel, but this should
>> be part of the default GENERIC kernel.
>
> Indeed, that is set in GENERIC, and I'm using the default kernel.
You also need the cross-compiled 32-bit version of the system libraries.
You should have installed them by sysinstall. See
/usr/src/tools/lib32/README, this describes how you can cross-compile
them from your source tree. If you haven't installed the source tree
either, you have to get the RELENG_6_1 source with  CVSup/Csup.

Gabor Kovesdan