Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:19:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TX motherborad

On Wed, 11 February 1998 at 11:59:31 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:

> I try to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 in a new motherboard whith TX chipset.

You sent this to FreeBSD-isp.  I think -questions is a better address,
so I'm following up there.

> This kernel not found sio0 and sio1. Are there any solution?

There seems to be a problem in this area.  In all probability it's not
the TX chipset.  Do this:

1.  Reboot the machine.  When booting, enter the configuration editor
    and change the flags for sio0 and sio1 to 0x80 (they're normally
    0x0).  Report the probe messages (you can get them again with
    dmesg).  You should get something like:

Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio0: probe test 5 failed
Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio0: probe test 8 failed
Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio1: probe test 5 failed
Feb  3 16:05:05 freebie /kernel: sio1: probe test 8 failed

2.  Tell me *exactly* what kind of motherboard you have.  If you can
    also tell me the super I/O chip part number, that would help.  In
    case of doubt, tell me the numbers of all the support chips.

Greg