Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:39:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

> Rather than having a user send Cameron Grant a Diamond Fusion Card, or any
> other "bleeding edge" or "old 'n' crusty" sound card to play with, shouldn't
> FreeBSD, Inc. or Walnut Creek itself be proactively shipping willing
> developers like this all the hardware they can purchase? I know that it is

It already purchases tens of thousands of dollars worth of such
equipment a year.  We can't do it all, however, and need your help.
Some of it isn't even the money, it's the time of individuals we can't
really spare right now to go out and purchase/ship the stuff.  From
that perspective, it makes far more sense to have dozens or even
hundreds of people providing stuff directly to developers rather than
somehow expecting one very small organization to handle each and
everyone's needs.  That's just not even possible.

- Jordan