Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 15:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphics card recommendations...

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Brian McCloskey wrote:

> You can get a Millennium II 8MB AGP bus card, though as some people have
> stated, the increase in performance won't be that great since manufactures
> are still working on the standards for this new trend.  The main difference
> on AGP is a dedicated bus.  This alone should increase your graphics speed
> due only to the fact that you don't have to contend with other traffic on
> your PCI bus.

There are some nice web pages out there, e.g., off of Tom's
Hardware Guide, and elsewhere.  The numbers usually show
little if any difference (with this card generation) between
AGP and PCI versions of the same card.

To me, that alone sounds like a good reason to buy the AGP card:
saving a PCI slot.  If AGP works, use it, and you will have a
spare precious PCI slot for use with another disk controller,
NIC, or a new audio PCI card once someone succeeds in prying
the programming info. out of one of the PCI audio card vendors.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov