Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:33:43 -0600
From:      Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
To:        Saowanee Saewong <ssaewong+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I got a problem with fsck.

I had exactly the same problem on my system (2.2.7) a few weeks ago on
/var.
fsck could not get past it (DIRECTORY CORRUPTED). I eventually had to
newfs it,
but I didn't lose much since it was a pretty new install.
No one could help me, except to say "you gotta restore a backup".
Apparently, you are not getting much help either.
There is probably a way to edit the fs directly if you had enough info.
It's also probably a good way to destroy the rest of your disk.

You might first try fsck -b blocknumber.
I think you can get alternate superblocks using dumpfs.
The first is 32, I think, then there are some others.