Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:01:28 +0300
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@westgate.gr>
To:        Charles Thompson <c_gulll@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: why should root access have such a common user name

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 02:35:33AM -0700, Charles Thompson wrote:
> This may soud somewhat asinine, but I cant help but
> ask. Is it possible to have the system not use root as
> a user for root access. To me if knowing the user name
> is half the battle.

Unless you are prepared to heavily edit /etc/mtree/* files, you should
not change the name of the `root' account.  A lot of these files include
lines like:

    # cd /etc
    # find ./mtree -type f | xargs grep root | head -1
    ./mtree/BSD.include.dist:/set type=dir uname=root gname=wheel mode=0755

and that is the *first* line only that matches :-)))

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr