Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:44:37 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

# 4) We, instead, must use another custom setup.  It, too, will be
#    non-standard, but at least it won't be traceable to the One True System.

	As for me, this ^^^ is a reasonable approach.
	I personally think -- the only excuse for the incompatibility in this
	case may be simplicity.

	Run levels? comparatively complex approach
	(does the benefits of it worth the effort?)
	and will be incompatible with SysV anyway (at least for a long time
	it will take to polish this stuff).

	Simple "agreement" about presence of 'start' and 'stop' scripts
	for certain kinds of services in some one or two exactly known
	and documented places? _Much_ simplier and seems to be pretty
	useful, because it saves a time for lurking and figuring
	"how to launch/terminate the damn thing _correctly_".

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560