Date:      Thu, 22 May 2014 20:55:34 -0400
From:      Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsd.emacs.mk does not detect non-GUI, non-X11 options

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure why that's a problem, because if you build editors/emacs
> with the port option for X11 disabled, it should tell configure to use
> the --without-x argument.  The results should be identical to
> emacs-nox11, except for not having the "-nox11" suffix in the package

I think I threw in too many distracting details. What I'm saying here
is that when I specify USE_EMACS in the Makefile for a port, it should
detect if X11 is disabled and select the correct emacs-nox11 port as
the dependency automatically.

One precedent for this is the USE_GHOSTSCRIPT knob. If that is
specified in a port, it automatically chooses the -nox11 slave port
for ghostscript if WITHOUT_X11 is set.

Since emacs has a -nox11 slave port, I believe it should work in the
same way for consistency.